Words

"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all." ~Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

"I write when I dream and I dream when I write."

~Khadija Craddock

Monday, August 15, 2011

Word of the Day...Use the word

polemic

\puh-LEM-ik\ , noun;
1. A controversial argument, as one against some opinion, doctrine, etc.
2. A person who argues in opposition to another; controversialist.
 
 
Quotes:
I confess that Mr. Jacobs' polemic against the anthropologists leaves me as cold as does much of Mr. Lang's polemic against the nature mythologists.  -- Joseph Jacobs, Alfred Trübner Nutt, Arthur Robinson Wright, Folklore: Volume 4
I would not myself refuse it, though I am at this moment engaged in composing a polemic against him.      -- Arthur Schnitzler, Casanova's homecoming

How would you use this word? Share your thoughts.  

Looking back, if I knew she was no longer going to be of his earth, I wouldn't have been such a polemic; I just had to argue against her at all cost, instead of being her daughter she must've of thought I was her enemy.   -- Khadija


No comments:

Post a Comment