Words

"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all." ~Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

"I write when I dream and I dream when I write."

~Khadija Craddock

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Word of the Day...Use the word


burke

\BURK\ , verb;

1. To suppress or get rid of by some indirect maneuver.

2. To murder, as by suffocation, so as to leave no or few marks of violence.
Quotes:
 "If he means that the reviewers will burke me as far as they can, no doubt he is right; but when I am dead there will be other reviewers and I have already done enough to secure that they shall from time to time look me up."
-- Samuel Butler, The Notebooks of Samuel Butler
"Holding her was a rage and a torment and there was the dressing-gown and the teddy and 'Chop, chop, here comes a chopper' to burke him."
-- Audrey Lillian Barker, John Brown's body
 This is a good word to use in your story. How would you use burke in a sentence? Don't be shy. 
I know that because she thinks she is in love with Roy, Lacey will stop at nothing to burke me, even if it's a misunderstanding, which it is not, but never the less she has no acumen to do so besides just be insanely insane.  -- Khadija Craddock, Awakened

 Now its your turn to use the word.

1 comment:

  1. If I don't get my temper under control road rage will burke me.

    ReplyDelete