Words

"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all." ~Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

"I write when I dream and I dream when I write."

~Khadija Craddock

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Word of the Day | Definition, Word Origins, and Quotes at Dictionary.com

Word of the Day | Definition, Word Origins, and Quotes at Dictionary.com

obscurantism

\uhb-SKYOORr-uhn-tiz-uhm\ , noun;
1. Opposition to the increase and spread of knowledge.
2. Deliberate obscurity or evasion of clarity.


Quotes:
Of course they're not. That's why there were all those confrontations, all that aggression and obscurantism. Because the forces of darkness are dying, and they are thrown back on such things as a last resort.
-- Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello

In these he had shown himself a stalwart champion of Christian doctrine at its most precise and purest, equally remote from the modern laxity and obscurantism of the past.
-- Albus Camus, The Plague

No comments:

Post a Comment