Words

"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all." ~Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

"I write when I dream and I dream when I write."

~Khadija Craddock

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Word of the Day...Use the word


purloin

\per-LOIN\ , verb;
1. To take dishonestly; steal.
 
Quotes:
Annatoo concluded that Samoa was not wholly to be enslaved; and Samoa thought best to wink at Annatoo's foibles, and let her purloin when she pleased. -- Herman Melville, Mardi, and a Voyage Thither
To climb a wall, to break a branch, to purloin apples, is a mischievous trick in a child; for a man it is a misdemeanor; for a convict it is a crime.  -- Victor Hugo, Les misérables: Volume 1

How will you use the word? 


It was something she was always good at, since she was nine she learned that if she couldn't buy it, she could purloin it.  -- Khadija Craddock

 

No comments:

Post a Comment